"Happy people don't necessarily have everything. They just make the most out of everything they have."


Monday, April 27, 2009

Don't fence me in


I have been feeding the cows lately as Earl has been hauling grain for the feed company. It is something that I really enjoy. Both herds that I feed are fairly close to town. Fixing fence is okay too. Getting the 40 head of heifers back in the field and fixing fence EVERY day isn't the greatest. Each morning, as we'd get close to the field, I'd think, "They won't be out today, I fixed the fence so well." Yeah right. They're out! Okay, the fences aren't great. In fact, they are pretty rotten. Turkey/sheep fences just aren't made to hold cows but you have to use what you have when you are just leasing the ground and make do. Anyway, I did take extra wire every morning "just in case" and I ended up using it all every day. On Friday night, I finally talked Earl into going down with me. We pounded posts, we wired, we braced. I thought I had it made. AUGHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Saturday morning, they had flattened the fence with all of the t-posts laying bent to the ground. Of course, Earl was hauling cows for a friend. I got them in and fixed fence again. Yesterday, (Sunday) Earl put up the electric fence. YES!!!! He had Kalon "test" it. (It felt like when mom tickled his back and he got chills-could he grab it again?" So, I was still pretty apprehensive as I drove down there this morning with my full load of hay. I even took some extra wire. But....Miracle! They were still in. Give them a few hours to figure it out though...

2 comments:

Jodi said...

Good luck - we had to put up some hotwire fence to. We had horses leaning over it til they were going to push it over and it seemed to work!

Jeff and Jessie said...

Do you think an electric fence will keep Dally in?